Monday, July 17, 2006

Brian is back in Haifa and everything seems calm here

I just arrived back in Haifa a few minutes ago and wanted to let everyone know that everything seems calm here.

It has been an interesting 24 hours since I decided to get back here. I had a conference in New York City this past weekend and was scheduled to come back to Haifa on Tuesday night -- but since all of this was happening I wanted to get back with Christine asap. So I went to the airport at Newark at 2pm on Sunday to see if I could catch an earlier flight. They were nice enough to waive the $100 reschedule fee and i had just enough time to call the people who were expecting me on Sunday night and Monday and get to the gate for the flight.

Since I had been up from 3am Sunday morning(when I first heard of the missle hitting Haifa), I pretty much passed out right after dinner and woke up about an hour out of Tel Aviv. The biggest problem was catching a sherut (minivan taxi) because we had only 3 people that wanted to go to Haifa. After about an hour and half we got two more -- we paid the guy twice the fare (since the van usually holds 10 and he needed to make the full rate) and we were off. The nice part is that he dropped me off right at the front door of our apartment and we had a very nice visit with the other people on the sherut--all of whom had their own story on why they are returning to the Northern part of Israel right now.

Well, I've got to take a shower and up to see Christine. As I mentioned, we will do our best to keep you updated on this blog, but I can tell you that the difference between watching this on CNN and being here is dramatic -- everything here seems calm and quiet. The birds are still singing and the Baha'i Gardns are as beautiful as ever.

Most of all I'm happy to be home!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Elisa Pritzker said...

Dear Christine and Brian:
Thanks for posting information about the current situation. We immediately thought of you.
We send our love.
Rob, Jimena and Elisa

3:14 PM  
Blogger Elisa Pritzker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home